Tuesday, June 19, 2012

JUST SCRAP......

I just read a great blog by A J Hamler who writes Over the workbench.  It was called, "Don't call it scrap" and I made an immediate connection. If you are a furniture maker, or wood worker, I'm sure you would agree.
We all set aside special pieces of wood. Cut offs from larger boards or pieces of plywood.  These cast offs often become more special than the piece they came from.  I too have my piles of specials. They aren't sorted by species, but mostly by size. Larger boards are there in a bin under the boxes of the smallest pieces of wood trim and hardware  I've accumulated.  The wall  behind the scroll saw is for reclaimed wood, and the wooden box for mitre saw cut offs is over flowing. I also have a shelf for the most special pieces I needed to save, some walnut  pieces saved for years. I justify all of this because I do make some small projects, and this material is great for that, but I must admit that A J Hamler summed it up best with this quote: "I'm saving it faster than I'm using it".
So true.

No comments:

Post a Comment