Wednesday, June 22, 2016

REFORMED TABLE.........

This table has the unique distinction of being built from rough sawn boards and planks salvaged from the Overisel reformed Church in Michigan. This church building served this congregation for 133 years, before being razed. My family has a historical connection with this church since 1841, so I was interested in collecting some of the wood for a future project, but by the time I got there, most of it was gone. Only small broken pieces remained.





The inspiration for this piece is of Irish Baroque design, combined with stylized religious motifs, I had seen while absorbing chapels, museums, and cultures on various trips over a period of time."


The table is 31 1/2" x 16 1/4" x 26 1/2"H. and made of White Pine and Poplar, harvested near the site.
The nail holes remain, and the table was given a light pine colored stain and several coats of lacquer.










The forest, the lumber and the sanctuary are now gone, but hopefully this small table will have a new life for many years to come.




No comments:

Post a Comment